Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Rahima



 

Rahima

Unexpected always,
Like wild strawberries
Or lupine in dunes
Appear and hold earth together,
You walk with an open book
Beyond the brim of my hat.
I look.
"It's only a mystery," you say.
Yes, it is certainly that:
You on the path to
Rahima, bright day;
Me, trimming escallonia;
Detectives on separate ways
In an old universe
That still glistens.
You speak.
I listen.
"This, I am more.
Something else that is more."
Hair full of fairylamps,
Downward flutter of fingertips,
A gesture stirring stellar dust,
And I believe you,
I must.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful xxx
    And I just remembered how much I love escallonia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the Redclaws have geared up for their summer show. Poem was written near the close of my public gardening years.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how lovely this is, Geo. My all-time favourite, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. To me, it contains something of the light of the people who frequented my gardens.

      Delete
  3. Retrieving again and believing again seems like the way to go, friend Geo … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, Cat. Rahima means kindness --among related things. I retrieve her in this poem, and we still exchange birthday greetings.

      Delete
  4. I love the way you find the perfect words and put them together seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind and encouraging, Sandra. Many thanks.

      Delete