Monday, September 18, 2017

Old Poem, New World

















I have climbed the stairs,
An astonished child.
I have left the lull of illusion.
You and I and a tremor of time
Climb brimming bright along the shore.
I am not only myself anymore.
We are a wave 
Holding sunlight and life,
A rolling glow, music and more--
More than the sum of ourselves before
We gave our gift to time.
We stepped our separate stairs
To a door upon the earth.
It is open.
We have a simple hold,
A touch, a wash of fanning sea
Over a swath of sand, a boulder,
A lace of foam, a stairway of waves--
A lyric on  land.
When songs mingle, they sing
Among themselves, winding gift
With gift where new-winged dreams
Drift, melodies touch.
We touched,
We joined ways, and to
That touch entrusted all our days.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Bright Lux, your light shines and gives new energy to a poem begun deep in another century and is still underway.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I wrote the poem 40 years ago and still feel good about it. Glad you do too.

      Delete
  3. In this new world, old love is even more precious than ever. Now that I think of it, so is new love, if that's the kind going around. This is a truly lovely piece of poetry, Geo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O_Jenny, love may not make the world go 'round but it (and gravity) keeps us on it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Dear Emma, we live its stories --sometimes painful, sometimes rewarding, always instructive. It's one of my favorite emotions!

      Delete
  5. Truly touching poem, Geo. This is so very beautiful!! Thank you for sharing this.

    Blessings, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind Kim, it's my pleasure to share poems, and a privilege. You reward me with your comment.

      Delete
  6. This also reminds me of how timeless love can be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it is as timeless as it is full of possibilities --renewable, stronger and gentler than despair. We need that.

      Delete
  7. I never had the pleasure of reading this before. It's lovely. Every word of it. And it gives such a sense of peacefulness and happiness. I hope you have compiled your poems into a book. If you do, I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. Your comment is so encouraging and kind. If I ever produce a book, I'll certainly let you know.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Sensitive and loving. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete